Skincare Guide for Sensitive SkinJuly 14, 2022 2022-07-20 13:06
Skincare Guide for Sensitive Skin
Original Author: Fira Syafiqah
What is SENSITIVE SKIN?
A sensitive skin is characterized by a skin condition happens when the skin care or household products they are using come into contact with their skin, causing a reaction including stinging and burning sensation. Others can be also seen getting itchiness, unusual redness and tightness after cleansing. Eczema and rosacea are examples of SENSITIVE SKIN.
Signs You Have Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin is a skin condition where you need to refer dermatologist to confirm whether you have sensitive skin or there might be other reasons causes your skin to be sensitive.
Some signs of sensitive skin include:
1.Tends to blushing and get skin flushing
2. Easily get burning and stinging sensation on skin
3. Tightness on skin after cleansing
Causes of Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin peeps, these are some causes that contribute to your skin condition:
- Skin disorders or allergic skin reactions eg: eczema, contact dermatitis
- Too dry or injured skin, causing the nerve endings cannot be protected
- Too long or too much exposure to skin-damaging environmental factors such as sunlight ray and or excessive or too cold temperature
There are other factors which can also affect sensitive skin include genetic, age, gender and race differences but the factor is not well-collerated but still it plays significant role to cause sensitive skin to happen.
Ingredients of Skincare Products That Must Avoid
|Harsh surfactant||Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)|
|Harsh exfoliant||Chemical peel, harsh scrub containing microbead|
|Alcohol||Product diluted with denatured alcohol, Ethanol, Methanol|
|Fragrance||Synthetic fragrance (in ingredient list),|
|Essential Oil||High concentration of essential oil|
|Chemical sunscreen||Oxybenzone, Avobenzone, Helioplex, Octinoxate|
Best Skincare Routine That You May Follow
PRODUCTS RECOMMENDATION: Garnier, Bioderma, La Roche-Posay
Micellar water contains milder surfactant to remove your makeup particles but please remember to follow with your second cleanser.
Cetaphil, CeraVe, La Roche-Posay
- Cleanse your face for less than 60 seconds. This is to avoid your skin to get more irritated even though it is a wash-off product
- No harsh surfactants. For example, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). Gentle surfactants are sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), especially in combination with cocoamidopropyl betaine (CAPB), sodium cocoyl isethionate, alkyl sulfosuccinates (“XX succinate” in an ingredients list) and alkyl sarcosinates.
- Low foam. High foam may damage your skin barrier.
- Low pH. High pH cleanser can irritate the natural skin’s pH between 4.7 to 5.7.
PRODUCTS RECOMMEDATION: Exfoliating toner from COSRX, Somebymi and Axis-Y
- Look for low concentration of AHA/BHA/PHA in skincare. For example, in exfoliating toner.
- Avoid harsh scrub with microbead which can damage the skin barrier.
- Don’t over exfoliate. Use 2-3 times per week only
- No chemical peel. Chemical peel can penetrate deep into your skin, causing your skin to be more irritated
- Avoid fragrance in skincare
PRODUCTS RECOMMENDATION: ZarZou Beauty
- Use serum with low concentration of active ingredients
PRODUCTS RECOMMENDATION: Soon Jung, Safi Dermasafe, Wardah
- No fragrance
- No essential oil
PRODUCTS RECOMMENDATION: Skin Aqua, Krave Beauty, Wardah
- Physical sunscreen only. Don’t use chemical sunscreen as it can penetrate into your skin layer, making your skin prone to get sensitized
- No fragrance
SERUM Guide for SENSITIVE SKIN
1.START WITH LOW CONCENTRATION
Using serum with high concentration of active ingredients may irritate your skin barrier. Please remember, the dose makes the poison and low concentration does not mean that the active ingredients will be totally INEFFECTIVE to your skin.
At the very first place, the low concentration is formulated to make it suitable for sensitive skin too. If you are a beginner and have sensitive skin, consider to look for treatment products with low concentration of active ingredients.
Our BRIGHTENING AND HYDRATING FACIAL SERUM is a perfect serum for sensitive skin as it only contains 2% Hyaluronic Acid, 0.5% Arbutin and 0.2% Ascorbyl Glucoside (Vitamin C derivatives) which is most unlikely to cause irritation to the skin.
2. USE IN ALTERNATING DAYS
Remember not to rush into trying new skincare product. If you are wearing your serum today, try not to include the serum on the next day and the list goes on. This is to make sure your skin can get well-adapted with the formulation and can prevent your skin from getting irritation.
3. KNOW WHAT TO AVOID
As what have been mentioned above, please avoid ingredients in serum that may trigger irritation. Examples include fragrance and essential oil.
However, since fragrance usually affected those with sensitive skin, some sensitive skin can still tolerate low concentration of essential oil.
Just like our REPAIRING AND SOOTHING FACIAL SERUM which contains Rose essential oil and 0.01% Tea Tree Oil. There’s no harm at trying. Who knows, your skin can accept RSS formulation well despite having natural fragrance in the ingredients list.
Note that, you have to do patch test first when introducing new skincare into your routine.
4. SIMPLIFY YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE
Do not mix too many active ingredients in ONE ROUTINE. Stay with the basic (cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen) and just one serum to tackle your skin concern are enough for your routine.
If you have many serum in your stash, use the other serum in the other routine because we want to make the routine is as simple as possible to avoid unwanted reaction to your skin.
5. GIVE YOUR SKIN A BREAK
Dermatologist has always reminded, if you have doubt, give your skin a break for around 7 to 14 days. If you are trying a new skincare and irritation occurs, please stop using for a while and reinclude it back into your routine and see how your skin during the second application.
You might feel ungrateful at certain times for having such skin condition but always remember, we are not bornt to be perfect and we will always have flaws. Just continue our life as usual, keep positive and avoid what necessary.
We hope this entry help you to do your skincare routine. Thank you for reading.